The Jerk Pork recipe is really quite simple:
- pork chops (we used thick cut), about 2 lbs
- Jerk seasoning marinade (we used an already-made jerk rub we brought from Jamaica, but there are plenty of easy jerk seasoning recipes on the internet). Make sure to use Scotch bonnet peppers, if possible, in your Jerk marinade, for the most authentic Jerk flavor experience.
Marinade pork in Jerk seasoning in the fridge for at least 4 hrs., even better overnight - the longer the meat marinates, the better!
Grill on each side until done and slightly charred, about 5-6 min. on each side.
- 1 mango, peeled and diced (use a firmer mango that's not too soft, or your salsa will be somewhat mushy)
- 0.5 cup red onion, diced
- 0.5 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced and zested
- 1 jalapeno pepper, finely minced (you can adjust how much pepper goes in, depending on your spiciness preference)
- salt and ground black pepper
- a few mint leaves
Serve salsa over pork - you'll discover a great marriage of spice with fresh light tropical fruit to cool it down. The taste is truly quite exotic!
Although our Birthday girl didn't get to do this next part, we found that a good balanced Chardonnay goes rather nicely with this meal :)
Total cost: $9 per person (incl. wine)